CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My son, who makes me laugh...and Gardening!

Trying to remember all the cute things your kids say is almost impossible.  I need to make sure and blog about them so I have these memories forever!

Yesterday my Jacob and I were getting back in the car at the grocery store.  While I was strapping him into his carseat I said, "mommy's tummy hurts"  His response was, "well, mommy, you have c-r-a-p in your mouth!"  Very serious this little boy is.  Hum...wonder what that has to do with my tummy???  I calmly shut the door walked to the back of the car and bust up laughing.

While we were at one grocery store...one of several, I told Jacob he needed to sit down in the cart until mommy was done shopping.  He was very good, sat the entire time.  I was in the last aisle and said, this is our last stop, and then we will be done shopping.  His response, "I want to walk now...I AM DONE SITTING!"  The logic of a three year old...well, at least he announced it and didn't just stand up in the cart!


What do you say to your child when he brings you his "pants" and says, "LOOK MOM, my LEGS got SHORTER!"  I took one look at his "pants" and laughed.  I said, "Jacob, those are SHORTS"  He said, "Ohhhhh"  with a very quizzical look on his face.  He makes me laugh on a daily basis!

How can one resist those eyelashes?

On to gardening.  One way I save a lot of money on produce is to grow my own.  Last year was my first year at growing a garden at this house.  I had one several years back at our old house...before children.  We had to replace our fence and dig out a ton of rock and soil to get level ground.  Then we built a small retaining wall...that still needs to be finished, and my wonderful hubby built me my raised beds.  I painted the outside of the boards, added the mixture of dirt and divided it into square feet.  I followed The Square Foot Garden.  I was conservative about what I planted last year as I didn't want to go way overboard.  But, I am planting more this year and adding more beds...after we replace our old crooked fence behind where my other beds are going.  

Here is bed #1.  I have a trellis netting behind it that my tomatoes climbed up last year!  Worked wonderful!

Here is bed #2.  My son was so kind as to throw rocks into it.  I plan to add a trellis net to the back of this one...after the fence is replaced and grow peas and beans.  

Here is where bed #3 will be going, and then I will add raspberry bushes in the corner.  As you can see this is where the kids toys end up.  An there is the lovely fence that needs to be replaced.  

I plan to add a small strawberry bed between this bed and the fence post where the gate begins.  All those stones need to be put in their rightful place.  We have a lot of work to be done...my plan is to have this all ready by planting time mid May.

Do you have a garden?  What do you plant?  What grows well for you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment